Saturday 9 April 2016

TUT - Preacher's Son

Released: January 5, 2015

Have you ever slept on someone for so long that you get so mad about it? Like, when everyone was talking about the guy, and how dope he is, you didn't listen and couldn't be arsed to hear his work, until later on, when the praise has kinda settled down. Today's subject, TUT is a prime example of that. My discovery of newer artists or older artists mostly come at a later time, as I'm a lazy guy that sticks with the same music a lot. I mean, I already heard of TUT and how people regarded his recent mixtape, Preacher's Son as one of the best releases of last year. But I never had the urge to listen to this guy until a few weeks ago actually, when I finished my Spring term of school.

Born Kevin Adams Jr., TUT (whose name stands for "The Understood Truth") is the 24 year-old son of a preacher (Kevin Adams Sr.) and a Gospel singer, from Chattanooga, Tennessee. He grew up listening to Gospel and mostly rap like Nappy Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, OutKast, UGK and more. Adams attended a Tennessee university, where he met fellow Chattanoogan Isaiah Rashad. However, he dropped out to pursue a rap career.

TUT dropped a lot of music within the past 4 years via SoundCloud before dropping his first project, including his breakout "Corner Stories" with Michael Da Vinci in 2013 and "Highs & Lows" in 2014. Finally, at the start of the year, on January 5, he finally dropped Preacher's Son. The mixtape featured 16 tracks, with guest appearances from Angel Mae, Johnny Smathers, Taylor Freeman, Swayyvo Sax and of course Isaiah Rashad. With production mostly from Ktoven (along with Junia-T, D. Sanders and Mason Vali), The tape was named after the fact that his father is a preacher, and the connection with the stuff he does.

Preacher's Son was critically-acclaimed and was regarded by most people as one of the best releases of last year. Many praised it for its content, lyricism & production, with critics, including Pitchfork giving the tape a fair rating. It even managed to catch the attention of record labels, including Atlantic & Warner Music Group, who both wanted to sign him; but instead, TUT refused, wanting to stay independent and build his own brand.

You know the deal, let's go!

1. Intro
To set the mood, TUT uses a snippet for a local news report on the problem with violence, which features his father (Kevin Adams Sr.). It's a great introduction, interesting, to say at the least, but you ain't gonna listen to it more than once.

2. Fall of Goliath
The first official song on the album, which samples "Here's That Rainy Day" (by Sonia Rosa & Yuji Ohno), which was previously sampled in the J. Cole song "03 Adolescence". Here, TUT touches on good and evil, whether it's the violence in his city, or his position in the rap game. It's a nice starter song, and I really loved it. The sample was suiting, and the way the drums kicked in was just amazing! Anyway, on to the next one.

3. Corner Stories (feat. Michael Da Vinci)
The standout, which was originally released in 2013 is up next, and TUT gets Michael da Vinci as they tell stories about 2 crackheads and a young guy, over a wavey instrumental. The first verse sees the poor crackhead who gets money to buy himself some food and crack, and TUT also reminisces about how his uncle was a drug dealer. The second verse is about the young guy "posted up in the corner", selling weed. The 3rd verse from Mikey D introduces a female crackhead who is fiending for a crack rock. I mean, I love this song. It's so interesting, and both TUT & Mikey tell some interesting stories. Such a standout!

4. Prophecy (feat. Smathers)
When I first heard this track, I was fully bumping my head and vibing out to it. This that smooth jazz shit. Them drums kicked in hard, and Swayvo Sax killed it on the saxophone. TUT & Johnny Smathers come through with some fire verses. TUT started off fine, with some nice bars such as "Flee to a different climate - I’m shining like freshly polished/Silver ware at the diner - breaking out the good china". Smathers continues, and he does well with it. I dunno, but his voice reminds me of Kidd Kidd, or is it just me? Anyway, I love this track. So smooth and jazzy. One of my favourites!

5. Living on the Sun (feat. Angel Mae & Swayvo Sax)
This track is a lot more wavey and chill than most of the track, as Angel Mae comes through with the voice, and Swayvo once again on the Sax. TUT doesn't disappoint with the bars, and his flow is just on point like DAMN! Angel sounds so soft and beautiful, plus the bass & sax is just freakin' tight. Ktoven killed it on the boards and made such a fire instrumental for TUT & Angel. Another standout.

6. Live from Chattanooga
TheHOUSE band come through with some live instrumentation for this lowkey banger. It starts off very jazzy and soulful, as TUT comes with the sick flow and fire bars. But when the drums kick in during the chorus, that shit got me bumping my head. TUT really impresses me on the two verses, and the band really does the thing with the instrumentation. Also, the chorus is just catchy AF! Love this song.

7. Holy Water (feat. Angel Mae & Taylor Freeman)
Angel Mae is back on the vocal duties with TUT and Taylor Freeman plays the guitar on this. They both sound very good together, and TUT really sounds comfortable and smooth on the track. The beat is nice and chill, and it gives such a wavey vibe to it. And damn, Taylor's guitar solo was just amazing. Another solid track.

8. Highs & Lows
This song was what got me to really listen to this mixtape. The chill vibe, the usage of a Marlena Shaw classic, and the drums, courtesy of Ktoven. It's that slow & smooth shit that you can ride and chill out to in your whip. TUT doesn't disappoint, as usual, and I loved his verses, as it rides comfortably on the instrumental. The beat even gets better when the pitch changes, making it sound dark and less chill than earlier. And he does well on that part with his verse. And his slowed-down voice on the bridge just makes that part even better. One of my favourites!

9. Kairos (The Trip)
This one is a lot more jazzy, with a lot more instrumentation from the band. Here, TUT describes a day and vents about certain things, while Ktoven and the band gives a sombre and calm instrumental. TUT's flow is impressive and he sounds comfortable over the beat. A great track!

10. Hangin'
Another dope track with a wavey instrumental, courtesy of Ktoven. The first verse is told from the perspective of a guy who's been watching TUT's actions and how he's not following in his family's footsteps in making good decisions and following God. TUT then brings up how people always think being a son of a preacher should make you a good person, and the fact he doesn't agree with that. The second verse, on the other hand, talks about how he wants to come up and be successful. It's a banger, and TUT really comes through with the bars. The beat is dope, and the hook is so damn catchy. Such a standout.

11. Kids These Days
This is one of two songs that use the same sample (Miles Davis' "The Man with the Horn"). They just use different extracts of the song. Anyway, this is another great track, with Ktoven & TUT doing what they do best: making sick instrumentals and coming with fire bars. I love the sample and how Tiggy flipped it, and TUT's 2 verses were great. It's something I could play over and over again. Even as I'm writing this, I'm just bumping my head to it. It's that good! Another one of my favourites.

12. Corner Stories, Part 2
The transition from "Kids These Days" to this song is just too much, like DAAAMMMMMNN!! The sequel to "Corner Stories" is the next song that samples "The Man with the Horn" aka the same song sampled on the previous track. This time, TUT doesn't get Mikey D or another feature for the track, and rides solo, really impressing me. The beat is just smooth as hell and I love the way he rides on it, with the hook and verses. It does run for a long time with the instrumental riding out in the end. And that's a good thing, to be honest, in my opinion. Makes the song a little better. This song is dope AF.

13. Bad Guys
This one is a lot more serious and sombre, featuring a sad guitar sample and slower drums. Here, TUT reflects on the bad stuff he has done, like robbing someone and ending up in jail. And it connects with how people see him, considering being a preacher's son. By the third verse, the beat slows down, giving a different pitch. And I was really bumping it when TUT came through at that time. Obviously, it gets back to normal as he sings the hook. Overall, this is actually one of the most memorable songs out of my favourite tracks. Not it's not the best, but I really felt it A LOT! A standout on the tape.

14. Sheba (with Angel Mae)
Angel Mae is back once again on this little song, as an acoustic guitar and an harmonica plays. In this song, TUT sings about his girl, who's been working and living hard in the streets, and he wants to help her. Angel comes through, complementing it a lot more, and she gives such a good vibe to it. Nice track.

15. Sunday Morning
A little skit which features a preach, and it's pretty good. A nice lead up to the next track.

16. Sunday Service (with Isaiah Rashad)
I was just as disappointing as you were when I found out Zay didn't actually have a verse on this track, and instead, was doing ad-libs. I feel you guys. But that doesn't mean this shit ain't fire. Arguably the best song on the mixtape, PERIOD! It's such a great track. On this soft one, TUT tries to turn his life around and change his ways. When the beat kicks in after the first verse, it was so good, and I was bumping my head straight. I still wish Isaiah had a verse, instead of doing ad-libs. But, to be honest, I like it like this. It's a nice way to conclude the mixtape, showing progression throughout the whole tape. The best song on the whole project!

The following is a retail bonus track:

17. Living Sacrifice
This came as a bonus track when it came onto iTunes, Google Play and streaming services. And God damn, is this freakin' dope. Ktoven comes through with the sick beat, and TUT doesn't disappoint with the verses, Just hearing this right now gets me pissed and annoyed that it didn't even make the free version as a bonus track, at least, and that I can only hear it on Spotify. This shit on repeat. One of my favourites and it didn't even make the final cut.

The fact that I didn't hear Preacher's Son till now still pisses me off. I know I didn't have to hear it straight after it dropped, but I could've listened around the middle of last year or even before I finalized my Top 20 list. This mixtape just has the word "heat" written around it. Every track on here is amazing and recommendable, and really interest me one by one. There are no weak tracks, and TUT really impresses me through the tape, touching on a lot of topics, including his behaviour, his lifestyle and the fact that he's a preacher's son. TUT kinda rides the project solo, only getting someone when necessary. Angel Mae is a talented one, and I really liked her, especially on "Living on the Sun". Her & TUT actually sound very good together, and "Sheba" proved it. Zay may not have did a verse on "Sunday Service", but his ad-libs were nice. Plus, the production on here is just A1. Ktoven is just a beast on the boards. Just hearing his input for "Highs & Lows" and "Hangin'" always impresses me. Overall, this is such a dope ass tape. I recommend a download! The content is very interesting and it was nice to hear TUT's stories and rhymes. They really didn't disappoint, and has got me wishing I listened to this earlier.

Recommended Tracks
Sunday Service
Corner Stories
Prophecy
Highs & Lows
Kids These Days
Hangin'
Living Sacrifice
Corner Stories, Part 2
Every track is a standout!

No comments:

Post a Comment