Saturday 19 December 2015

Big K.R.I.T. - Return of 4Eva

Released: March 28, 2011

It's been a long time since I've touched a project from K.R.I.T., I mean, I'm a little late on listening to his discography, although I've listened to both Cadillactica & his new project, It's Better This Way, yet I still enjoy his music and respect him as one of the best new school artists. But, it's about time that I continue where I left off with K.R.I.T. Wuz Here [back in February], and go on to his next project, Return of 4Eva.

R4 was released after being on the 2011 XXL Freshman list, among the likes of Kendrick Lamar, Meek Mill, Diggy Simmons & Mac Miller, and was a follow-up to the critically-acclaimed K.R.I.T. Wuz Here. Like the previous tape, it was self-produced, and features a little more major and legendary features from Big SANT, Chamillionaire, David Banner, Ludacris & Bun B, Joi and Raheem DeVaughn. The mixtape was promoted with videos for "The Vent", the remix of "Country Shit" with Ludacris & Bun B, "R4 (Theme Song)" and tour vlogs.

The mixtape, like K.R.I.T Wuz Here, was also critically-acclaimed, with HipHopDX calling it "emotive, conceptual music" and a Slant Magazine editor saying it was "the rap album to beat in 2011". R4 was also named 32nd best album of 2011 by Rolling Stone, 27th by Spin, and a honourable mention by Pitchfork. It would later be re-released as a retail EP, with a remix of the K.R.I.T. Wuz Here standout, "Moon & Stars" with Curren$y & Killa Kyleon. Many see this as one of his best work, among his later work, such as 4EvaNaDay and Cadillactica.

Anyway, let's get this started...

1. R4 (Intro)
The mixtape starts with a chill and relaxed opening, which see Krizzle rap a little verse over live instrumentation, with the drums, trumpets and bass. It was a good introduction and all, but as you listen to this mixtape, you're not gonna hear this more than once.

2. Rise and Shine
A good positive song which you can easily wake up to, depending on your music taste in hip-hop. Krizzle provides two great verses that keep a positive and light feeling, with some dope scratches during the hook and the end. The beat is pretty good and hits a little hard. Overall, it's just a funky track to get your day started.

3. R4 (Theme Song)
I remember playing this randomly in my tuition class. This song hit me hard, and I wanted to show my happy face when hearing this and just wild out to it. But, I ain't embarrassing myself in front of younger (and older) people. Anyway, this song BANGS!!!!!! This that shit you can bump in the whip and just ride out to. The production is hard-hitting like a mother... and the sample-chopping was way on point with this one. Krizzle's verses on this song were great, and that flow was amazing. It's relaxing, and as I wrote this, I was fully vibing to this shit. One of my favourites on this tape.

4. Dreamin'
K.R.I.T. reminisces about his days before becoming a rapper, and how that has got him to where he is now. The beat is relaxing, and the song creates a positive vibe and gives some motivation to the listeners, to push themselves to what they want to do. I really liked this song. The concept was interesting and very inspiring, and the sample fitted the concept, especially when the vocals of the original fittingly went with the hook. Great song!

5. Rotation
This that music for the whip. Get yourself a whip, play this song out loud on your day off, and act like you don't give a shit at all. Shake your head to it, and just vibe. The verses are alright, the beat BANGS!!! And K.R.I.T really impressed me on this one.

6. My Sub
The first out of a 3-part series (or maybe not, God knows, there may be more parts to come), which is another banger on the mixtape. It once again sees K.R.I.T. just make a song about him feeling good, and riding out. The beat SLAPS, and his verses and flow is intact on this one. The melody is great, and the vibe is too much on this one, overall making a catchy ass banger!

7. Sookie Now (feat. David Banner)
AWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! This shit BANGS HARD AS FAWW.... Excuse my French. This song is amazing. I was fully dancing to this when this randomly played on my iPad, cos of how great this song was. The hook is catchy, and gives a better vibe than the 2 previous bangers, considering that this is both from 2 Southern rappers (from Mississippi). I can imagine Krizzle performing this live, and if I was to see him do it, I would get gassed. Krizzle did well with his verses, but damn, David Banner killed it. His flow was on point, and gave a really good turn-up feel to it, while at the same time, giving some meaningful lyricism (talking about all the black Mississippians that have passed away). This song is just... SENSATIONAL (*Future voice*)!

8. American Rapstar
A serious and smooth joint, which focuses on dealing with hardships & struggles of being a rapper in America, considering that you can easily make hits in this generation. The sample gives a sombre and sad feeling, as Krizzle thinks about how he won't change for the money, and also worrying that he may get shot or killed like Pac & Biggie. It's a joint that is still relatable today,

9. Highs & Lows
I heard this, while going out with my friends on Halloween (this year, Halloween fell on a weekend, me and my friends did not go trick-n-treating), but I never really payed attention to it till now, and only focused on the beat. But, unlike his other sombre and deep cuts, Krizzle provides a beat that smoothly bangs, as he talks about how life can have its ups and downs, hence "Highs & Lows". The hook is very soulful, and has a nostalgic feel to it, especially when the bridge kicks in near the end. I freaking love this song! One of KRIT's best songs.

10. Shake It (feat. Joi)
Singer Joi comes on this funky ass song, which you can bang both in your whip and the club. It's a song which easily makes you feel good, and hearing Joi on the hook with Krizzle was really nice. The verses on here were fire, and God damn, that beat! I just think it feels short, and if Krizzle added an extra verse after the bridge, it would've been just fine.

11. Made A Lot (feat. Big SANT)
This standout sees both Krizzle & SANT voice their views on how people comparing them to their "former selves", thinking that they've changed. Krizzle's flow on this was pretty good, and he started off great with the verse. SANT was actually good on this, but it's when they share a verse together is where they both kill it, especially Krit. The beat was amazing on this one, and it really carries the two very well on this. Another standout!!!

12. Lions & Lambs
Another sombre and deep song, which sees him thinking about life in a sorrow way, especially when his voice is a little quieter and cheerless. His 2 verses were alright, but he really killed it on his third verse, especially when the drums are reversed. The sombre piano is on point and is really fitting with the song, and it's just a song where you can just listen to it with no distractions.

13. Kings Blues
This one sees Krizzle reminisce about his struggles & hardships, with an Erykah Badu sample on the hook. The scratches on this got me hooked on to this song, and his flow really got on with it as well. I just wished that Krizzle would've had more verses on here cos it feels too short. I still love it tho!

14. Time Machine (feat. Chamillionaire)
Chamillionaire isn't known as a rapper anymore. He's been making a lot of great music, but even to this day, he'll be forever known as the guy who made "Ridin'". So it was surprising seeing Krizzle hook up with Cham, considering if he even knows what he's capable of. On this highlight here, we see Krizzle reminisce about the lessons in his youth, while riding in his whip. This one's a freaking banger, and I'm really impressed with the verses on this song. It's one that you can bump your head to, but at the same time, kinda relate to his words. Cham's verse on this was pretty good, which sees him voice his opinion on some shit, before shouting out UGK (RIP Pimp C). The instrumental on this was amazing, and the concept here was really interesting.

15. Get Right
A song that you can vibe to. It has that West Coast feel, while also bringing that Southern flavour to it. It reminds me of the previous "Gumpshun" on K.R.I.T. Wuz Here, but this one BANGS HARD! And is better than that song. I can have a great time with this, and the verses just get you to feel positive and just ease your mind. BAAAANNNGER!!!!!

16. Amtrak
A love song (that smoothly bangs), which is named after the train service. that sees Krizzle wanting a woman to come back & spend the night and... you know. I can't say much about this other than the fact that it's smooth as hell, it's a funky ass banger, and that I freaking love it!!!

17. Players Ballad (feat. Raheem DeVaughn)
A feel-good song that heavily has references to the classic OutKast song, "Player's Ball", with Raheem DeVaughn on the hook. The song has deep and smooth production from Krizzle himself, and if you're looking for a song that can easily pick up women, this is the one for you. Krizzle's verses are on point, and his flow is more impressive and refreshing. One of my favourites on this tape. Play on, Playa!

18. Another Naive Individual Glorifying Greed & Encouraging Racism
With the title being the full name of the acronym, "Another N.I.G.G.E.R", over a sombre and sad instrumental, Krizzle makes a very personal song about how he doesn't want to be a "nigger", and his 3 verses expand on what he doesn't want to become. While the 2 verses really explained this very well, the third verse really got to me, as he describes someone who has now become famous, but has forgot where he came from. It's one of Krizzle's best verses which really hit my heart, and interested me with the concept. The song was really interesting. The beat didn't fail to impress me and the fact that he really expressed his opinions of "being another nigga". One of KRIT's best songs!

19. Free My Soul
On this track, KRIT takes time out to criticize the entertainment and music industry, how sometimes having riches isn't always enough for your soul to be free, and overlook very good artists. It's another sombre song that is relatable to this generation, and I actually mess with it. It's not really something I'd play over and over again though.

20. The Vent
Arguably Krizzle's best song ever made, Point Blank, PERIOD! Here, being a personal lament to his late grandmother, over a beat that kinda reminds me of the ambient Noah "40" Shebib production, he speaks about his struggles, such as his brother dying, a beautiful women overlooking him because she wanted a thug, and how this generation is like nowadays. The bridge/outro however, looks at things a different way as if he's directly speaking to the grandmother (as she has passed away), along with his fans, Yeah, his singing isn't good, but it's very bearable for this song right here, considering how personal this song is. The content on here was amazing, and I really liked how Krizzle took this. A great conclusion, and the best song on the album.

The following is a bonus track:

21. Country Shit (Remix) [feat. Ludacris & Bun B]
Southern legends Ludacris & Bun B jump on the remix of the standout off Krizzle's previous mixtape, K.R.I.T. Wuz Here, and they do not fail to make it better than the original. As a matter of fact, I played this one before I heard the original. Over the same instrumental (because why mess it up with a completely new beat?), Luda starts off like it's nothing, with a verse that had me rocking my head a lot. Krizzle comes with a new verse, which was honestly better than the rest (considering that the guests on the remix normally do better). Bun B comes through with a verse that really pays a good homage to the Southern shit. His flow was better than the rest, and was my favourite verse on here. Everything about this remix was good, and really impressed me more than the original. Get a sub and bang this out while you go to work.

Return of 4Eva sees Krizzle at his very finest. It's such a great follow-up to K.R.I.T. Wuz Here, and sees him mastering his sound and knowing where he is now. Krizz knows how to make his content have a balance, whether it's club bangers, shit you can bump in the whip or some deep cuts, and that makes R4 very entertaining.
First off, we see Krizzle improve his lyrics here, and his verses start to easily get to you. His 3rd verse on "Another N.I.G.G.E.R" (because I can't be arsed to type down the full name) is amazing, and gives a better insight on the song's concept. And "Made A Lot" sees him share a verse with Sant at the end, with Krizz having impressive bars here & there. Also, the verses on "Dreamin'" sees Krizzle at a soft and emotional state of mind, thinking about his career and his success.

The production is on point, not to mention. We see very deep and relaxing production on "Highs & Lows", and slapping drums on "Get Right". The bass is too much on "Amtrak", and an ambient beat, reminiscent of 40, is provided on "The Vent". While we've seen that Krizzle can lead a mixtape on his own, the features were very necessary, and added a touch to it. Raheem DeVaughn's hook gives a chill vibe on "Players Ballad"; David Banner's verse gives a feelgood vibe, while also spitting some knowledge & history on "Sookie Now", and Chamillionaire was fire on the banger "Time Machine". Big Sant also came through on the standout, "Made A Lot", and last, but not least, Luda & Bun! God damn, did they kill on the "Country Shit" remix.

Return of 4Eva, overall, is arguably Krizzle's best work, and you can see why from this. His style has mastered, and it's an entertaining mood-changer, and while you wouldn't like your mood being changed, you'd still love it! If you're looking for bangers to bump in the whip, this is for you. if you're looking for relaxing shit, this is for you. If you're looking for lyrical and personal cuts, this is for you. R4 gives you everything you need, and is a prime example of why Krizzle is a top 5 new school artist. It's just sad how underrated he is.

Recommended Tracks
The Vent
Sookie Now
R4 (Theme Song)
Country Shit (Remix)
Dreamin'
Amtrak
Highs & Lows
Another Naive Individual Glorifying Greed & Encouraging Racism
Made A Lot
Time Machine
Players Ballad
My Sub
Everything on here is recommendable!

No comments:

Post a Comment