Saturday 25 April 2015

Craig David - Born To Do It

Released: August 14, 2000

Previously, you saw me review Connected by The Foreign Exchange, where I said it was a comfortable and overwhelming listen. And now, for the second Birthday review, instead of doing the usual "hip-hop album review", I decided to do something a little different. The first decision was: going to British music instead of the normal urban music and the second: review an R&B singer that some of you may remember instead of a Grime rapper. And as this happens, I'm seriously about to get a lot of nostalgic chills from this one.
Once upon a time not long ago, was a young singer called Craig David. Born in Southampton, he had a musical family, with his father playing bass, but also with his parents being separated. But yeah, forget about his early life: if you remember Craig, in 1999 was his career jumpstarted with the UK garage hit, "Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)" with Artful Dodger. This led him to be recognized by a record label called Wildstar, who were impressed by the songs they heard, which led Craig to a record deal. Craig was already working on his debut album before he had a deal and managed to complete it in 2000 before the Summer, already having 2 singles released before the album. But August came and after releasing "7 Days" in June, which preceded "Fill Me In", Born To Do It finally came!

Craig's debut album, Born To Do It, named after a Willy Wonka description quote, was released in the middle of August 2000 on Wildstar and in the US on Atlantic. It can be seen as a soul, 2-step garage and R&B album, which revolves around clubbing, romance and relationships. Previously, the first single "Fill Me In" already topped the UK Chart and "7 Days" doing really well. The album was entirely produced by Mark Hill, who was part of the group Artful Dodger (who jumpstarted Craig's career), and Craig was 19 around the time this was released, being 18 when "Fill Me In" came out. It was a huge success, and Craig managed to be recognized a lot. I do remember going through my parents' CD collection and finding out how my mum actually bought this album, but only Lord knows where the actual disc is.

The album sold really well, especially as a British singer, selling over 200k copies on its first week. It also managed to be on the Australian Chart for a whole year (52 weeks) and on the Billboard 200 for over a year (62 weeks). Not only that, but it went multi-platinum, selling over 7m copies worldwide. Ever since then, it had a legacy, especially when MTV viewers voted for this album as the second Greatest Album Ever behind Michael Jackson's Thriller and Craig had 3 MOBO Awards which included Best Newcomer, R&B and UK Act and was nominated in 2001 for Best R&B Act and Best Album. Craig would go on to release more popular songs and albums like "Rise & Fall" with Sting on Slicker Than Your Average or "All the Way" on The Story Goes... Apparently, the show Bo' Selecta! (which was named after his breakout hit with Artful Dodger) would ruin his career (although he would deny it) with the frequent caricaturizations and how the show poked fun at him, especially not being took seriously. His last album put out was in 2010, but he has been quiet for some time now (let's hope he comes out with an album this year).

I have never really focused on Craig that much. The only time I did was when I heard "Fill Me In" and "7 Days" came on UK channels like KISS or MTV Base when they were airing throwback programmes. So what are my feelings on this album? Does it add up to anyone else? Is it really good? Or is "7 Days" and "Fill Me In" the only songs worth recommending? It's time to find out...

1. Fill Me In
The debut single from the album comes on & starts the album, and I've mentioned this, along with "7 Days" many times in the introduction. Now, it's time to get into the album. Here, Craig tells the story of how he tried to hang out with a girl next door, with her parents being suspicious on what she's doing. I really liked this song. It was really laidback when the verses came on and when Craig was telling the story, but when the beat dropped into a garage vibe, it was really great to listen to. It does make you bump your head a lot. There's a lot I liked about this song. The content was really interesting to hear, and how he tried to be with the girl without any trouble was something good to hear. The video was even suiting and on point, with him performing with his friends in a flat, and a few people dancing outside while the song was playing. This song was really good, especially when I was young, hearing it a lot on TV. Even to this day, it doesn't disappoint!

2. Can't Be Messin' Around
This isn't really that bad. I like the feel for people to dance to this song, and groove to this. I liked it. The beat was something reminiscent of something I'd hear Sean Paul on back in the day, to be honest. I liked the rapping in the middle, it was actually alright. I can vibe to it a little, but overall, it's just decent and nothing that really stood out.

3. Rendezvous
This was the last single on the album, and it was a forgettable song a little during my childhood. Maybe I didn't hear it at all, only God knows if I did. My thoughts have changed a little. This song was really good, a lot more chill and smooth. His singing on here felt good and I liked the melodies and the beat, which setted the vibe for me a lot. It was really great to hear, and its content was interesting to hear. I really liked it. One of my favourite songs on this album really.

4. 7 Days
AWWWW YEAHHHH!!!!!! This was my favourite song to hear during my childhood. One of those songs I grew up listening to. I loved a lot about it. The video gives me one of the biggest nostalgia chills ever and even to this day, it's still a Goddamn great song. The content of the song was really interesting, especially talking about how the week was with the girl. Heck, the video is one of my favourites to watch, and how he tells the story to his barber was really appealing. The beat is really chill and it's really relaxing for me, hearing it a lot. The hook was great, and I can sing that a lot, which really makes this song an excellent ass song. There is a remix with Mos Def, which DJ Premier produced, and even if Premo remains one of my Top 5 favourite producers, it didn't (and never will) top the original. This is maybe... just maybe... one of my favourite songs of all-time.

5. Follow Me
This was really smooth as hell. The late 90s feel was present a lot here, which sounded like something that I'd hear from a lot of R&B singers around '97/98 with a weird music video full of special FX. I really liked this song, and the way Craig was singing was really great and it impressed me a lot. It's something to relax to and how Craig wants to get jiggy with the girl was pretty nice. Overall, the song was really interesting and great to hear.

6. Key To My Heart
This was alright. Nothing impressive here, but overall it was alright.

7. Fill Me In (Part 2)
Just so you know, I am reviewing the US version of this album, released in 2001, which features 2 extra tracks. And unlike the original UK version, a second part of Craig's debut single is featured, which sets a really different vibe than the original. Unlike the first, it's much groovy and doesn't have a smooth garage vibe, having a club feel to it. That doesn't mean it's better than the first. As much as I don't like UK garage much (not because I didn't really grow up around that era), the original was better and I had a better feel from it. This is still good though. It's a song to bump your head to, and isn't that clubby like the way UK music was like back then. The hook is on point, but the song can sound a little like it was supposed to be a different song instead of a second part of "Fill Me In". But yeah, it's a really good track.

8. Last Night
Not bad, not bad. This was really nice and great. Not only that, but this was the actual original version of the breakout "Re-Rewind", where Craig took lyrics and the melody from this song. I liked the song. It was a song good to listen to. Once again, Craig does some rapping like he did on the second track, and it actually comes out good, especially for a singer. I liked the story he was telling here, with a great party vibe, and the beat was really funky and reminiscent of Italian guitar music. A really great song.

9. Walking Away
This was the third single on the album, and although I never really payed much attention to the song itself, I do remember the video clearly where Craig comes out of his car and starts singing while there's traffic and coming in different places. Unlike the other songs on the album where it's upbeat, smooth and funky, it's more of a sombre and sad song where Craig wants to walk away from the troubles and his struggling of his relationship. This wasn't bad, but can be forgettable just sometimes.

10. Time to Party
Ok now, back to the upbeat party songs, And this ain't all that for me. Yeah, it's groovy and it's really nice to listen to, but can be a forgettable and unmemorable song. Craig raps again, which kinda saves the track a little. But I didn't really like it much.

11. Booty Man
This sounds really sombre as hell, and got me wondering why it was even called "Booty Man", as if he wants to get into that booty and have fun with her. I realized it meant the man that probably attracts a lot of girls and make them want to be with him. But yeah, the sombre feel & atmosphere on the song doesn't really suit and got me to a point where I didn't like it as much.

12. Once in a Lifetime
Another sombre and serious song, which separates from most of the album. This was really decent, and it was something great to hear, as he reflects on his struggles and happy times. It does sound a little short though.

13. You Know What
I had high hopes coming into this song. And "you know what", it's not really that good. So... meh!

14. Rewind
A slightly different version of the breakout "Re-Rewind (The Crowd Say Bo Selecta)" concludes the album. It stills remains on the garage vibes, and doesn't depart to a different beat. I really liked it. I wouldn't say which one is better, cos they're kinda both the same. But they're both good in their own way. This one feels a little polished in a way tho. But yeah, the album is done!

Born To Do It is actually a really great album. While I came into this album thinking that I may not like a lot of songs on the album, only 2 or maybe 3, I was damn sure wrong. Craig's singing and content were actually nice on the album. Most of the album did involve a lot of partying, sex, and hanging out with girls, whereas there was 1 or 2 songs where he reflects on his relationship struggles. Most of the album manages to be storytelling and having a lot of hip-hop elements, especially when he raps as a 3rd verse in a few songs, and introduces songs in a smooth rapping way. On the album, Craig shows how he's one of the guys who likes to get down with the girls and party, while there are some struggles in his life (which on the album, he doesn't really touch on much). Born To Do It was a really comfortable listen. Notice I didn't really say much about the beats like I would with other albums, maybe because the beats didn't always bring the overall song together most of the time, and I did feel the singing was the one that made me like a lot of songs. But yes, the beats were actually really great for me and I liked them. Maybe a few weak tracks here and there like any other album, but does that stop me from liking the album? NO! I recommend a purchase. Craig did a good job on here and it wasn't a waste of time here, managing to not lack as much. It deserves the 7 million copies it sold, and the legacy since this album came out was great. Maybe a classic in my eyes!

The Furious 5ive
7 Days
Last Night
Fill Me In
Follow Me
Rendezvous

Honourable Mentions
Walking Away
Rewind

No comments:

Post a Comment